U.S. RECREATIONAL BOATING INDUSTRY
Facts and Figures
Recreational boating is a major consumer goods industry in the U.S., generating $37.5 billion in
sales and services during 2007.
• Average price of a new powerboat in 2007 was $35,486.
• Average price of a new boat, motor, trailer package was $25,544.
• Florida ranks number one in total expenditures for new powerboats, motors, trailers and accessories
with a total of $2.1 billion.
• Boating aftermarket accessory sales have more than doubled in the last ten years from $1.2 billion in
1996 to $2.6 billion in 2007.
• Boating participation increased an estimated 10 percent in 2007 to 59.1 million American adults.
With more Americans on the water, the number of recreational boats in use increased
• The number of boats in use totaled nearly 17 million in 2007.
There were 12.7 million recreational boats registered with the U.S. states and territories in 2006
• The Great Lakes region had the most registered boats with 3.3 million, representing more than a
quarter (26 percent) of registered boats in 2006.
• Boat owners spent an average of 32 days (or 16 weekends) on the water in 2007.
12,000 marinas account for the 875,000 slips available for U.S. boat owners
• There were approximately 12,073 marinas in operation in the U.S. in 2005, accounting for nearly
875,000 total slips throughout the U.S. The average marina had 72 slips.
• Nearly 18,940 marine businesses support more than 154,300 employees in the U.S.
Demographics data shows American boaters are largely ‘middle-class’
• Three out of four boat owners have an average household income under $100,000.
• The Great Lakes had the highest concentration of boat owners, followed by the Inland and Mid-Atlantic
• Nearly 68 percent of boat owners were married and the median age was 45 – 49 years.
About National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA)
NMMA is the leading association representing the recreational boating industry. NMMA member
companies produce more than 80 percent of the boats, engines, trailers, accessories and gear used by
boaters and anglers in the United States. The association is dedicated to industry growth through
programs in public policy, market research and data, product quality assurance and marketing
About Discover Boating
Discover Boating is a national awareness campaign developed by the recreational boating industry and
managed by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA.) Discover Boating programs focus
on improving the boating experience and building interest in recreational boating by demonstrating the
benefits, affordability and accessibility of the boating lifestyle, while helping potential boaters experience
why life is better with a boat. Each year approximately 59 million adults in the U.S. enjoy boating. To find
out more, visit www.DiscoverBoating.com.